As an affiliate, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
While the original Amazon Kindle was just a tablet for reading, the Kindle Fire acts as much more.
You can download thousands of apps, play games, and stream music and television shows. But what if you want to share your screen with friends or family or just have a bigger picture?
You can connect a Kindle Fire to a projector for a larger screen experience. Your projector can act as a wireless computer monitor or as a television screen. There are three ways to connect your Kindle Fire to a projector: screen sharing or mirroring, using a cable, or using an app.
Check out my top recommendations for projectors.
Throughout this article, we will go into detail on how to connect your Kindle Fire to a projector, including any cables or adapters you may need.
We will also discuss connecting your Kindle Fire to a TV. Finally, I will explain why it’s a good idea to purchase an adapter with an extra micro USB port.
How to Connect a Kindle Fire to a Projector
First released in 2007, the Amazon Kindle has been a popular tablet for readers across the globe. Now, years later, the Kindle Fire is on its ninth generation, the Fire 7. It has upgraded hardware and software to give you the best tablet experience yet.
One of the perks of the Kindle Fire is that you can connect it to a projector for an enhanced movie or TV watching experience.
There are three ways to connect your Kindle Fire to a projector. They are as follows:
Screen sharing is also called mirroring, this technique allows you to share your audio and visuals directly to the projector. It will allow the projector to act as a wireless computer monitor that you control through your tablet.
- Turn on your projector.
- Turn your projector over to the “Discoverable” mode.
- Turn on your Kindle Fire.
- Go to “Displays and Sounds.”
- Click on “Display Mirroring.” If you do not see this option, then your Kindle Fire does not support this feature, and you cannot connect it to a projector this way.
- A list should pop up. Find the name of your projector in this list, and click on it. This should connect your Kindle Fire to your projector. It may take a few seconds, so be patient.
Use a Cable
You can also connect your Kindle Fire to a projector using a cable connection. Your projector may have an HDMI, a DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, or Audio/Visual jacks.
Your Kindle Fire has a micro USB port. For this reason, you’ll need to get a micro USB adapter, with one of the projector’s port connections on the other end.
Here is a Micro USB to HDMI 1080P Video Graphic Audio Output Converter from Amazon that allows you to plug one end into your Kindle Fire and the other end directly from your projector.
Here is a USB C to HDMI VGA Adapter also from Amazon to mirror your screen from your Kindle Fire to your projector using the VGA connection on your projector.
If you’re using a DVI (Digital Video Interface) or a VGA (Video Graphics Array), this will only connect the video, not the audio.
To get sound, you can use the speakers built into your Kindle Fire, or you may need to connect a Bluetooth speaker to your Kindle to hear the sound. You can also use external speakers or headphones by plugging them into the audio jack of your Kindle Fire.
Use an App
Some projectors may use an app to establish a connection to a Kindle Fire.
- Check your projector’s user manual to see if they have an app. If so, download the app on your Kindle Fire.
- Open it up.
- Follow the instructions, and you should be able to connect your Kindle Fire to your projector.
How to Connect Your Kindle Fire to a TV
If you want to connect your Kindle Fire to a projector, then you should also know how to connect it to a TV. You can use the TV as a large, wireless computer monitor, or you can use the TV as a screen to watch movies and television shows, basically, everything you can on your Kindle, just on a bigger screen.
So, whether you are surfing the web, playing a game, or checking up on your Instagram, you’ll be able to see it better and clearer and even share it with your family and friends.
Connect Using a Fire TV
If you already own a Fire TV, this will be the best option for you.
- Make sure that your Kindle Fire and Fire TV are on the same wireless network.
- Using an HDMI cord, connect your Kindle Fire to your Fire TV.
- On the Fire TV, click on “Settings.”
- Go to “Display & Sounds.”
- Turn on “Second Screen Notifications.”
- On the Kindle Fire, use the screen icon that looks like an arrow pointing up to display what you want, whether it’s a video or a webpage, onto the TV.
Easily connect your Kindle Fire to an HDMI-enabled TV using an HDMI cable. You will need a micro to standard HDMI cord. Here is an AmazonBasics High-Speed Mini-HDMI to HDMI TV Adapter Cable from Amazon.
- Plug the mini-HDMI side into your Kindle Fire.
- Plug the regular HDMI side into your television.
- Using your TV remote, change the input to the TV to the correct HDMI channel.
Miracast allows you to display what is on your Kindle Fire to your TV.
- Purchase a device that supports Miracast. Here is a 4K&1080P Wireless HDMI Display Adapter Miracast Dongle for TV from Amazon.com.
- Plug that device into an HDMI port on your TV.
- Make sure that both the device and the Kindle Fire are on the same wireless network.
- On your Kindle Fire, go to “Settings.”
- Click on “Display & Sounds.”
- Tap “Display Mirroring.”
- Click on “Connect.”
- Wait a few seconds for it to connect.
Keeping Your Kindle Fire Charged
Now that you can stream movies and TV, play your favorite games, and browse Facebook on a bigger screen, all of this activity on your Kindle Fire may cause it to lose battery faster.
If you do happen to buy any of the adapters listed above, be sure to buy one with an extra micro USB port so you can charge your Kindle Fire while keeping it connected to your projector or TV.
Here is an MHL Micro USB to HDMI Cable Adapter (Amazon link) with an extra micro USB port to charge your Kindle Fire while it’s in use.
The Kindle Fire is a great tablet. You can do just about anything with it, including connecting it to a projector or television screen.
To connect a Kindle Fire to a projector, you can share, or mirror, your screen. You can also use a cable or the projector’s app.
To connect a Kindle Fire to a television, you can connect using a Fire TV. After purchasing a Mini-HDMI to HDMI cord, you can connect your Kindle Fire to a TV using an HDMI cable. You can also use Miracast to display your content from your Kindle Fire to your TV.
Whichever way you connect, you should be able to use your projector or TV as a wireless computer monitor, displaying web pages. You can browse Facebook or Pinterest or even send emails.
You can also use your projector or TV as a screen and watch all the movies and TV shows you want on a new, larger screen.
Check out my top picks for: