So, are Bose home theater systems worth it?
Bose systems are known as some of the best, and for good reason. They produce high quality and technically efficient equipment that’s built to last, and you pay for the brand support that comes along with such an established name. They might be expensive, but they’re worth the money.
I know it’s obvious, but it’s worth stating: Bose systems are expensive. While you’re definitely paying partly for the brand name, much of this cost goes on what the brand represents in terms of quality and accessibility. As part of my research I decided to look at what makes a Bose home theater system worth the money, and why you should consider investing in one.
What Makes A Bose Home Theater System Expensive?
Bose have been a big name in the home theater market for a long time, and so have established a good place among competitors. Obviously this is reflected in the price, and you can realistically look to pay anywhere between $200 and $1,000 for different parts, and possibly up to $4,000 for a complete setup. While this might seem expensive, people who are in the market for a quality home theater system understand that it will probably mean spending a bit.
One of the biggest advantages of Bose products is that they’re very easy to use. This can be a big deal for the less technically minded home theater users, many of whom simply want to plug in their system and use it. Bose allows you to do this much easier than many other brands, and it’s something that they’ve become known for. While some audiophiles might enjoy the process of setting up a new system, many users that would be considering a Bose home theater system do so for its accessibility.
What’s more, the brand is very aware of its reputation, and works hard to maintain this. They understand that their products are meant to last, and so they’re always happy to provide customer and technical support. This means that if you decide to invest in a Bose system, you can rest assured that there will be someone on hand to assist if anything goes wrong. This is a feature you can’t always expect, even from major brands.
One of the other big factors that relates to accessibility is that all Bose products are designed to work with each other. While this might sound like a disadvantage, and a way for the company to sell you more of their products, it’s also a benefit for the consumer. It means that all of the equipment is easy to integrate, and you don’t need to worry about compatibility issues. Some people much prefer to have a system that can be built easily and works efficiently, and if that’s you, then a Bose system is the right choice.
What Else Do You Need For A Bose Home Theater System?
Simply put, Bose specialize in speakers. They make their money from high quality products, and their home theater systems are second to none. However, if you want the ultimate in home theater systems, you might want to consider investing in a greater range of equipment. Some things on this list are necessary if you’re using a Bose home theater system, while others are simply recommended for a better experience.
- Subwoofer. A subwoofer is one of the most important parts of a home theater system, and while many Bose products come with a subwoofer included, this isn’t true of every speaker system. Bose manufacture subwoofers, and they offer a wide range that are compatible with different models of speaker. A subwoofer is where you should consider investing a greater portion of your money, otherwise your whole system will be let down by poor quality and muddy bass.
- Receiver. A receiver (or preamp) is necessary to connect your speakers to your device (TV). However, you should invest in a good quality receiver to ensure you’re not missing out on the sound quality your speakers are able to provide. Some Bose home theater systems do come with their own integrated receivers, but this is only on the very expensive models, and so you should think about buying your own. Also, check out my top recommendations for home theater receivers.
- Remote control. While you might not think that a remote control is necessary for your home theater system, it can be a massive help. Once you install your speaker system, the volume control on your normal remote won’t be useful, and so getting a dedicated remote for your speakers will save you having to get up every time you want to change the volume.
- Bluetooth. This again isn’t a necessity, but with the way many people listen to music, particularly on mobile devices, Bluetooth enabled speakers can be a big help. Bose have introduced Bluetooth compatibility to a number of their home theater systems, which allows you to play music directly from your mobile device onto the high quality speakers.
- Wi-Fi. Having Wi-Fi enabled speakers allows you another level of control over them, and also makes streaming services easier to use. Bose offer apps to control some of their speakers, and Wi-Fi also means you can play audio from a non-Bluetooth device. This feature isn’t available on all Bose home theater systems, but is becoming more popular as technology becomes less expensive.
What Kind Of Home Theater Systems To Bose Produce?
Bose manufacture a wide range of different home theater systems, which are designed to cater to different needs. Their least expensive models still offer excellent sound quality, and the level of accessibility you’d expect from a Bose product, but do so without breaking the bank. Here are some examples of Bose home theater products.
There are many different models of Bose Soundbars (Amazon link) and these are probably one of their more familiar products (aside from speakers). A Soundbar is a reasonably simple piece of equipment that is a long speaker system with integrated subwoofer. While it does have a subwoofer included, it won’t provide high-end levels of bass, simply because of the size of the product.
Bose Soundbars are designed to sit in front of your TV to provide vastly superior sound quality over standard TV speakers. They’re an excellent step up, and aren’t as expensive as the bigger home theater systems. What’s more, they can be integrated with other Bose equipment, meaning you can connect them to surround-sound speakers and subwoofers for the ultimate home theater experience.
Many of the Bose Soundbars come with technology such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, making them very useful starting equipment that you might want to build on later. Some are also compatible with Alexa and other voice-activated devices, making them even easier to use. A Soundbar doesn’t require a receiver, and can simply be hooked up to your TV.
Bose produce speaker sets in a range of options. You can choose from 2.1 or 5.1 systems as standard, but it’s also possible to expand these systems by buying extra speakers. You can buy several sets of the same model and pair them easily, creating effective surround sound for your home theater system. The cheapest sets of 2.1 speakers will be around $200, and you’ll probably be looking at $1,000 for a 5.1 system.
Their more technical systems include speakers of different sizes and shapes, ranging from cubes, curved, and horizontal speakers. Bose have used their name to advance speaker technology, and so they produce speakers specifically designed for different size rooms, and for specific placement within the room. To understand this in more detail, it’s definitely worth doing research on the products Bose offers in your price range, and the type of home theater system you’re looking for.
Is A Bose Home Theater System Right For Me?
Not everyone necessarily agrees that the most expensive is best, but this isn’t far from the truth when it comes to a home theater system.
One of the most appealing things about a Bose system, aside from the quality and lifespan of the product, is the fact that you can start with one part and build a system on it. This means that you don’t have to invest a large sum of money in a home theater system in one go, but can instead start with the most useful part and expand from there. Because Bose products are all designed to work with each other, this makes it a viable option.
Simply put, Bose home theater systems might seem like a lot of money, but they’re definitely worth it. Along with the quality, you also pay for the assurance that your product will be protected, and the accessibility they’re famed for is a massive advantage to many potential users.